Tuesday 25 February 2014

A girly weekend- Peanut butter cups and cinnamon buns

Skill: Low
Cost: Low
Time: 30 mins 
Equipment: Muffin tin, cake cases
Home-made peanut butter cups- better than Reeses!


This weekend I visited a few of my friends in Leicester. We all love food so I decided to make them some goodies! Peanut butter is a favourite of ours so I set about making some peanut butter cups. I admit these aren't the most complicated of bakes, but they were a real hit with the girls and travelled well. Reeses peanut butter cups are expensive. These were not only tasty but also cheap to make. 

I also made them some cinnamon buns/swirls. I have made these before but they have taken a long time waiting for them to rise. When I stumbled upon a yeast-less recipe I thought it was too good to be true. Well, you know what they say about things that look to good to be true- they probably are. That was the case for these! They were yummy, we had them warmed for breakfast with a cup of tea, but they were nothing like normal cinnamon swirls. They were more cakey and didn't hold together well. They looked a bit messy too- they were certainly not picture-worthy! I would make them again for a quick cinnamon fix but otherwise would suggest it is well worth putting the effort in and using a yeast based recipe. You can find the yeast-less recipe here. One positive from this recipe is the cream cheese frosting- it was delicious, just like the type you get on a Cinnabon. I will definitely be using this recipe for the frosting alongside my proper cinnamon buns.

For the peanut butter cups:

Ingredients:
200g Dark Chocolate
100g Icing sugar
100g Peanut butter
A pinch of salt

1. Melt half the chocolate and line cake cases. I used silicone cases so it would be easier to turn then out once set. I also put them (and the tray) in the freezer before hand so the chocolate would set quickly and coat the sides well. Line the bottom of the cases as well as the side. Place back in the freezer to set while you prepare the peanut butter centre.



2. To make the filling gently warm the peanut butter, sift in the icing sugar, mix in the salt and stir.

3. Spoon this into the cooled chocolate cases and flatten with a spoon. Make sure you don't over fill.




4. Return to the freezer to set. While they are setting melt the other 100g of chocolate. Pour the melted chocolate over the peanut butter and make sure it reaches the edges. Smooth. Return to the freezer or fridge until solid.

5. Enjoy!





The peanut butter cups were delicious, but the chocolate was a little hard.
Do you have any tips on how to make it soft like the Reese's peanut butter cups?

Until next time, 

Emily x




No comments:

Post a Comment