Sunday 9 February 2014

Low Milage - A simple and delicious Leek and Potato soup

Skill: Low
Cost: Low
Time: 30 mins
Equipment: Blender, Saucepan, Measuring jug

Home-made healthy leek and potato soup




Last weekend I visited my Dad at his new house in Gloucester. Although the Severn bore was not as impressive as we had hoped, a visit to Over Farm Market, which is just a five minute walk away, proved very exciting.

It sells a collection of imported, British and local produce, including vegetables, pies, pastries, cheese, jams, chutneys and various meats. What I was interested in, however, was the vegetables grown on the farm. Many still caked in mud and grown less than a mile away I was keen to make the most of them and create a soup for my family.


I settled on a leek and potato soup. I selected two leeks, four potatoes and three red onions, all from the farm. The total ingredients came to around £4 and were enough for four hearty portions. The ingredients had travelled less than a mile (apart from the stock cubes and seasoning!) so this was an added bonus!



I made up the recipe myself, but if you want a more precise tried and tested recipe try this one from BBC food.



Ingredients:
3 Leeks (I used 2 but would use 3 next time)
3 Potatoes (I used 2 large and 2 small)
3 Onions
750ml vegetable stock
Salt and Pepper so season




1. Wash all the vegetables and chop.



2. Fry the onions in olive oil on a low heat until soft.



3. Add Leek and Potatoes and 750ml Vegetable stock.


4. Cook until potatoes are tender, season to taste and blend.


5. Enjoy! 

Local, tasty and simple with the added benefit of local ingredients, how can you go wrong?
I would tweak the recipe slightly but overall it went down very well.

I made up the recipe myself, do you have any tasty soup recipes to recommend? 

I would love to hear them!
Until next time, 

Emily x


No comments:

Post a Comment